May break my bones

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Scone: Pumpkin Bread (and Sharks)

Yay! My first official blog.

A little bit about me... I'm a screenwriter by trade. My preferred method of procrastination is cooking. Thus, this blog combines my two loves and enables all of my bad habits. I hope to post some interesting recipes (nothing I haven't forced unwilling accomplices to do extensive taste testing on first, naturally) and alternately share my humble opinion about some films.

I don't promise astounding culinary creations, just things I think are tasty food. Similarly, I warn you my palate in film isn't always super sophisticated, either - I have no shame in admitting that I totally enjoyed Deep Blue Sea. In fact, I'll watch just about anything with a killer shark in it. Just so you know the level of the room, here...

Now, I don't mean to claim by creating this blog that screenwriting is in any way like following a recipe... if it were that simple, I'd be 20 pounds lighter and have a better resume. They're just two things I like to talk about, and this gives me an excuse to learn more about both.

To get things rolling, and in deference to the season, here's a fun recipe:


Pumpkin Bread

This is my very own, original Pumpkin Bread Recipe. Well, okay, it's actually a banana bread recipe I bastardized, but the result is pretty darn good. This makes a moist bread with a cakey texture, but it's not too sweet. Goes over well at the office.

1 can (398 mL) pumpkin**
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, added one at a time
1 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cloves

** Do not use pumpkin pie filling - too much junk added. Just stick with plain ol' canned pumpkin, or use fresh if you're not lazy and unambitious like I am.

Mix it all up together. Grease and then lightly coat a metal loaf pan with flour.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. This puppy is pretty moist, it's a good idea to test with a tooth pick before you take it out of the oven. You may need to pop 'er back in for a little longer, usually 7-10 minutes will do it.

Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds really yummy - I am going totry it with FRESH pumpkin!!

Karen

3:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home